Having a structure of body without defects is a blessing in itself. If you go by the statistics, over 75 million people in USA, Europe and Japan suffer from fractures due to osteoporosis. The effect of osteoporosis is on 1-in-3 women and 1-in-5 men which makes it a huge industry that generates more than $6 billion annually. However, birth defects also quote bone disease as the major reason of abnormality at birth.
What are the common bone diseases?
There is a lengthy list of diseases, associated with bones and joints. Some of them are :
1. Osteoporosis : The decreasing bone density causes the pores on the bone surface to grow. Under the lens, bone thinning is visible. Women in their 50s going through postmenopausal phase are at high risk.
2. Rheumatoid Arthritis : It’s an autoimmune disease. When the body’s immune system attacks it’s own joints instead of preventing the bacteria and virus. The cause of worry is high because 1.5 million people are dealing with swollen or inactive joints due to this diseases.
3. Paget’s Disease : During the process of new bone cell replaces the old bone cell, there could be a defect. This reduces the natural ability of bones and joints. It’s a chronic disease which develops later in life. Currently, USA has more than 1 million people as its patients. Skull, pelvis and joints are some of the common regions.
4. Bone Cancer : The uncontrollable growth of cancer cell spread across the body affects the bone marrow and joints. Excessive swelling and brittle bone are common symptoms along with the usual cancer
5. Musculoskeletal Fracture : The musculoskeletal fractures treated per year is more than 15 millions. The regions that are highly risky are spinal cord, knees, shoulders.
What are the exercises that could help you take care of your bones and joints?
Taking care of body has never been without some sort of physical workout. Check out the list to make your workout regime as per your interest and benefit :
Yoga adds flexibility in your body. It is one of the best way to increase the blood flow in your body. Yoga is a self indulgent form of workout which needs your core strength to pull out the ‘asana’.
2. STRUCTURED EXERCISING
If you are not into a lot of intense workout, you can always take help from the online tutors who have uploaded their workout videos on platforms like YouTube. It is fun and keeps your limbs moving!
Due to aging, your skeletal health might suffer the degenerative effect. Pilates help you to strengthen your pelvis and spine. It is a great way to keep your body work hard when you lack time for pulling out an hour of exercising.
Swimming is good for all body. It is a fact that people who swim have better after 50 years life. It is because swimming helps you to move all your limbs. Pregnant women, elderly people and arthritis patients can benefit from exercising in water.
What are the nutrients that are essential for keeping bones and joints in right position?
You must never miss out on the following nutrients to keep your body in good shape and repair the damage :
1. Calcium : Almost everybody knows that calcium is the building block of the bones. It takes care of the blood circulation and repairing the bone cells.
Sources : milk products, cereals and green leafy veggies
2. Vitamin D : Vitamin D becomes a necessity when you consume calcium. Both the nutrients are not produced in the body hence, consuming them from other sources is important. Especially, vitamin D because it helps the calcium to get absorbed in the body.
Sources : fortified cereals, fortified milk products, fortified orange juice, salmon, tuna
3. Omega- 3 Fatty Acid : The 9 form of essential fatty acid have to be consumed from outside. These are the maintenance guys which make sure that the damage is repaired.
Sources : walnut, tuna, salmon, flaxseeds
4. Vitamin C : An important nutrient to reduce inflammation from the joints. You need to have the right amount of vitamin C from the various sources.
Sources : bell peppers, lemon, oranges, grapes
5. Polyphenols : Polyphenols are the antioxidants which reduces inflammation in case of arthritis, bone cancer and fractures. This reduces the accumulation of toxins in the joints.
Sources : green tea, white tea, dark chocolate, cocoa powder, cloves
It is only you, who is the best judge of your body. If you have started experiencing pain in parts of your body then it is a sign that you must do something about it. Indulge in healthy habits and eat right to keep your engine working, all the time.